Human Trafficking in the Triad
On March 7, 2019, we hosted a Twitter chat on Human Trafficking in advance of the premier of our UNC-TV episode on the same topic.
ICYMI: Last Thursday's Twitter chat featuring interesting insights from organizations combating human trafficking in our communities: https://t.co/kNJJs8GmoV
— ncIMPACT Initiative (@ncIMPACTsog) March 11, 2019
The fifth episode of our new series on UNC-TV investigates the troubling presence of human trafficking in North Carolina, and what communities like The Triad are doing to combat it. See below for additional resources on this topic.
- Bonner, Lynn. “‘Our Neighbors Can Be Sold Again and Again’ – How to Spot the Signs of Human Trafficking.” News and Observer. January 2018. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article194272564.html
- Chicurel-Bayard, Dustin. “Human Trafficking: Combating Modern-Day Slavery on North Carolina Farms.” Southern Coalition for Social Justice. July 2009. https://www.southerncoalition.org/human-trafficking-combating-modern-day-slavery-on-north-carolina-farms/
- “The Facts.” Polaris. Accessed March 2019. https://polarisproject.org/human-trafficking/facts
- Feingold, David. “Human Trafficking.” Foreign Policy. Sep–Oct 2005. https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/30048506.pdf?refreqid=excelsior%3A3ce28a0879eff6ada559d83d33f16f15
- “Human Trafficking.” Department of Administration. https://ncadmin.nc.gov/advocacy/women/human-trafficking
- Laczko, Frank. “Introduction: Data Research on Human Trafficking.” Research and Publications Division. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.0020-7985.2005.00309.x
- Lee, Maggy. “Human Trafficking.” Taylor & Francis Group. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/e/9781135993917/chapters/10.4324%2F9781843924555-11
- Maryniak, Kim. “An Overview on Human Trafficking.” Rn.com AMN Healthcare Education Services. 2018. https://www.rn.com/headlines-in-health/overview-human-trafficking/
- “NC among Top 10 States for Human Trafficking.” WRAL. July 2017. https://www.wral.com/nc-among-top-10-states-for-human-trafficking/16515034/.
- “North Carolina.” National Human Trafficking Hotline (operated by Polaris). Accessed March 2019. https://humantraffickinghotline.org/state/north-carolina
- “North Carolina: Efforts to Combat Human Trafficking.” US Department of Health and Human Services Region IV. December 2016. https://bit.ly/2J0RosK
- “North Carolina Human Trafficking Commission Reports Priorities in Combating Human Trafficking.” North Carolina Judicial Branch. February 2019. https://www.nccourts.gov/news/tag/press-release/north-carolina-human-trafficking-commission-reports-priorities-in-combating-human-trafficking
- “Project No Rest.” https://www.projectnorest.org/
- Schachtman, Benjamin. “Part Five: Here’s How Wilmington’s Sex Trafficking Problem Is Being Addressed.” Port City Daily. December 2018. https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/2018/12/07/part-five-heres-how-wilmingtons-sex-trafficking-problem-is-being-addressed/
- Shabad, Alex. “Recent Arrests Highlight Human Trafficking in the Carolinas.” WCNC. August 2018. https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/crime/recent-arrests-highlight-human-trafficking-in-the-carolinas/275-584100662
- White, Herbert. “North Carolina Earns National Notice in Fight against Human Trafficking.” The Charlotte Post: Local and State. November 2018. http://www.thecharlottepost.com/news/2018/11/19/local-state/north-carolina-earns-national-notice-in-fight-against-human-trafficking/
- “Who We are.” Truckers against Trafficking. Accessed March 2019. https://truckersagainsttrafficking.org/who-we-are/
- Williams, Jessica. “’These Are Pioneers.’” August 2016. The Times News. https://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20160825/these-are-pioneers.