In 2018, 12% of adolescents in NC attempted suicide, with an even greater number expected to attempt suicide in the context of COVID-19. School closures and mandatory social distancing, coupled with stressful home environments, place adolescents with suicidal urges at significantly greater risk for suicide. Appalachian State University is partnering with seven schools and three counties to prevent suicides in Allegheny, Ashe, and Watauga Counties.
Youth Suicide Prevention – For More Information
The Challenge – What is the problem communities are facing?
- NC Child North Carolina Child Health Report Card 2019
- North Carolina Child Fatality Task Force Annual Report – May 2020
- Suicide in Children and Teens – American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- North Carolina Suicide Prevention Plan (2015), Executive Summary, Data Presentation
The Solution – What is the innovative solution we want to highlight?
- Three rural school districts partner with Appalachian State University to prevent youth suicide
- High Country Help
- Alleghany Lives – Facebook
The Players – Who did what to make the innovative solution work in the community?
- Appalachian State University Department of Human Development & Psychological Counseling and Wiley F. Smith Department of Psychology
- Watauga County Schools supports Appalachian’s ASC Center for 12th year
- Public Schools Involved
The Promise – Why do we think this solution holds promise for other communities?
- $2.5M grant supports App State’s continued provision of mental health training and services in rural NC
- At Greater Risk – LGBTQ Center in Charlotte
- Out of balance – Wake County Schools program
- HOPE Squad – Pender County
- North Carolina’s first recovery high school offers ‘a continuum of care around each individual student’
- Model School District Policy on Suicide Prevention (https://www.datocms-assets.com/12810/1576931010-13820afspmodelschoolpolicybookletm1v3.pdf)
- NC Center for Safer Schools Suicide Prevention Toolkit (https://files.nc.gov/dpi/documents/cfss/resources/suicide-toolkit.pdf)